Updated March 2022
There is a new 2022 ASNB campaign to get more fixed-price ASM units. Got this one from Maybank again and the brief details are as follows:
- Ratio is now 60% variable price (VP) and 40% fixed-priced (FP); this is an increase from the last one I did!
- Minimum total investment is RM10K; and
- VP fund now has a lower sales charge.
I’m still on the fence about topping up my ASM fixed-priced funds. Dividends have been good but I really hate the sales charge of the VP funds from the bundle.
ASNB and Their Funds
Amanah Saham Nasional Berhad, more commonly known as ASNB handles the funds found below.
ASB and ASM
The coveted fixed-price funds are what we will be focusing on today. Not
A thing to note – ASNB provides two kinds of funds. The first is the fixed-priced funds – namely Amanah Saham Malaysia (”ASM”). The variable-priced ones are just your normal unit trusts and mutual funds and are subject to NAV change, which means a potential loss for you. And you all know how I feel about them because of their fees.
I’ve been trying to get my hands on additional units of the ASM funds 1, 2, and 3 for ages now. I managed to get RM17,500 worth of it a few weeks ago and here’s how I did it (in 2019).
Now, if you’re a Bumiputera of Malaysia, you’re in luck. You’re automatically allocated units in the ASB funds. These typically give above 6% returns, with bonuses and stuff it’ll be in the 10% region.
Non-Bumiputeras, you don’t get to touch the ASB funds. The next best thing is the fixed-priced ASM funds I mentioned earlier. These are lower in returns compared to ASB though.
You’ve heard of aunties and uncles queueing up every damn day at banks just to ask the lady at the counter to query the system for available ASM units. This isn’t hearsay. I too do this on occasion.
The common belief is that during festive seasons, there will be a higher chance of available units as people tend to sell their units then. I’ve never gotten it this way.
In fact, I count myself among the lucky few because my mother had got me about RM3K worth of ASM units when I was younger.
ASM vs EPF
A common comparison I get from readers is ASM vs EPF. The dividends from ASM fixed-priced funds like ASM3 is lower compared to EPF of course. Instead, you get the flexibility of withdrawal for your ASM3.
I will probably max out my annual EPF and then put additional money into ASM FP funds.
Getting Additional ASM Units
The traditional way of purchasing additional units is as follows:
- You queue up and ask the bank if they’ve got available units. Chance? 0% for me
- You sign up at ASNB’s website and try to purchase online. You save time queuing but I have yet to get any.
Here’s the third way. I managed to get RM17,500 worth of ASM3 units a few weeks ago through my relationship manager at Maybank.
A few things you should know beforehand if you’re new to the blog.
- I’m a Maybank Premier Wealth customer and I have a relationship manager (”RM”).
- This is a campaign by Maybank. I ain’t sure if it’s only for Premier Wealth customers but my RM brought it to my attention.
OK. So this was the text I got:
Upcoming ASNB VP & FP Bundle Campaign 2019- Phase 3
Campaign Period: 10 – 20 Sept 2019 Bundle :
ASN IMBANG 1 or 2 & ASM3
Ratio: 65% ASN Imbang1/2 : 35% ASM3
The ASM3 units are limited and available on a first come first serve basis.
I had to basically put in a minimum of RM30K in. 65% will go to ASNB’s variable fund and the remaining 35% into its fixed-priced ASM3 fund.
ASNB is basically trying to promote and get you to invest in its variable fund which charges a 4% sales charge. I forgot the management fee per annum. But yeah, mutual funds.
I decided the 4% sales charge was worth it in the long term and invested RM50K into it total. Which gave me that RM17,500 in ASM3 funds.
As you can see, I was charged 4% immediately and the variable fund dropped in value since.
That’s how I got RM17,500 worth of ASM funds. At a cost of RM1,300. Effectively, a 7% sales charge on it. Do you think it’s worth it?
I hope this one will help people get their ASM funds in the future. I’ll be sure to post an update whenever I receive news of new campaigns from my RM in the future. So follow me on Facebook and Instagram to get quick and immediate updates.